Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Treasured moments in the Land Down Under

While the last few weeks have found me extremely homesick and coping with elements of  'culture shock', there has still been rays of light and joy found within each and every day.  Every day reminds me of how blessed I am to have been placed with the host family that I am with for this semester.  Each day, there are moments that warm my heart and causes me to smile with thankfulness.  Moments such as curling up in the living room while my host mom reads out loud from her poetry boo and watching the Olympics every evening with my host family and exchanging teasing banter with my host brother about Michael Phelps; moments such as spending almost every evening watching Top Gear with my family and sitting in the kitchen talking with my host mum as she cooks dinner; moments such as evening walks with the family and Jack the dog and afternoons spent with friends at a coffee shop, drinking Chai tea and laughing together; moments such as days spent exploring the city with a friend and evenings spent watching rugby games.



Today, I sat in the kitchen while my Aussie mum cooked dinner and explained to me the game of Cricket (which, let me just say, is a complicated game.  Like...blimey! And as a side note, this weekend, I will get to go to Carter's (my host brother) championship Cricket game, which I'm looking forward to!). We then proceeded to discuss differences between American and Australian culture.  The other day, I raided her library and borrowed one of her books.  Last Friday night, we all watched a movie together as a family.  There are no words to explain how grateful I am for my Aussie family and for the sweet moments I get to have and experience with them.  Each member of the family is extraordinary in their own way.  I have been struggling each day with different things but each day has had moments that I treasure, with friends and with family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment